126 years ago, La Tour Eiffel was born. It is now the most visited monument in the world.
Here are 15 things you might want to know about this global icon!
- It took two years, two months and five days to build.
- Including antennas, La Tour Eiffel is 324 meters tall and weighs 10, 000 tonnes.
- Every 7 years she is repainted.
- Gustave Eiffel was the Architect, hence the name.
- The names of the 72 engineers, scientists and mathematicians involved in its creation are engraved on the building.
- 7 million people visit it every year.
- It shimmers on the hour, every hour, after nightfall until 1am for five minutes.
- 20,000 light bulbs are used to make the Eiffel Tower light up every night.
- There are 1,665 steps!
- The tower sways 4-6 centimetres in the wind.
- The monument is affectionately known as The Iron Lady like Margaret Thatcher, Britain’s first female Prime Minister.
- La Tour Eiffel is actually married! A woman with an ‘objects fetish’ married the tower in 2008. She changed her name to Erika La Tour Eiffel!
- To build a lego version requires 3,428 bricks.
- Aircrafts have flown under the monument, one didn’t make it!
- During cold weather La Tour Eiffel shrinks by six inches.
If you haven’t done it yet!. It’s a must. MLP headed up to the top with children in tow, we walked half way and then took the lift to the top. There was a bit of queuing but we didn’t have to wait long. When we got to the summit, the views were stunning, breath taking – just beautiful.
A true family experience and a wonderful memory to share. Tell us about yours we would love to know.
Love MLP x